HILLSIDE RESIDENTS FIRST TEAM
5 POINT PLAN
- PROPERTY TAXES
- Hillside needs to be more business-friendly in order to stabilize property taxes. Through increased entrepreneurial presence, rates, overall will stabilize.
- QUALITY OF LIFE
- Effectively enforcing speeding laws and negotiating with Elizabeth, Union, Irvington and Newark to put in place aggressive police safety border patrol, Hillside will have a more promising outcome for quality of life successes. Addressing the concerns caused by Bay Crane and Union Beverage will have direct impact on making Hillside an attractive destination. In addition, revamping code enforcement efforts, implementing security cameras, correcting and improving street signage, adding speed humps, upgrading street lighting, and addressing street cleanliness, Hillside can finally take it's place as one of the most attractive live/work/thrive townships in New Jersey.
- COMMUNICATION and TRANSPARENCY
- Utilize Channel 35 to televise Council and Board of Education monthly meetings. Translate these meetings to Spanish, Portuguese and French Creole so that more of our residents can be involved in understanding what is taking place in Hillside. Continue online meetings and in-person meetings. Improve the working relationships with municipal, school board, county, state and federal officials to benefit Hillside. Be more aggressive to respond to grant writing opportunities the Hillside qualifies for.
- Increase youth and senior programs available to residents, starting with opening up the parks. The parks are closed 10 out of 12 months a year. Reopen the municipal swimming pool! Explore and facilitate new opportunities like fixing the Little League field, creating a dog park, and establishing a partnership with the Hillside Board of Education to keep our school facility gymnasiums open until 8pm.
- Finally bring a senior housing development to Hillside to make retirement living more affordable.